Monday, August 25, 2014

My Upcoming Adventure


As some of you already know, I've signed up for the Adirondack Canoe Classic, otherwise known as the "90-Miler": a three day paddling race from Old Forge to Saranac Lake.  I'll be in a canoe with my friend, Lawrence Bartel, with whom I hiked the 120 mile Northville-Placid Trail last September.  Lawrence is a veteran of the race.  (He's been after me for 8 years to do this...and has finally worn me down.)  We're registered in the "open touring" class...which is non-competitive.  We're in it to finish.  Lawrence and I paddled together a week ago on Long Lake, where he taught me a "racing stroke," and based on that experience, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to achieve that goal.


I'm sending you this message for two reasons: (1) I want your prayers!  (2) In case you're anywhere in the neighborhood, I thought I'd send along the schedule so you could check in on us.

Friday, September 5: The race begins early (at 8:00am, I think) on Old Forge Pond, and ends mid-afternoon in Blue Mountain Lake (35 miles on the water + 3.5 miles of over-land carry).  (We'll be spending this night and the next in the DEC campground at Fish Creek.)

Saturday, September 6: The race resumes on Long Lake and wraps up on the Raquette River 5 miles east of Tupper Lake on Routes 3 & 30 (30 miles + 1.25 miles carry).

Sunday, September 7: The home stretch leaves Fish Creek Campground on its way to the finish line on Lake Flower at River Front Park in Saranac Lake (25 miles + .5 miles carry).  Lawrence figures we'll be pulling in between 12:00-12:30pm.

I'd be happy to see you anywhere along the way...just don't be offended if I can't put down my paddle to wave!
 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Fantastic! Have a great time!