Sunday, July 12, 2015

Slip'n Slide

A very quick post before heading off to summer camp...

Last Thursday, I climbed up and over Mount Colden (4715 ft), #11 among the 46 High Peaks of the Adirondacks.  Passing Marcy Dam (or, I should say, what's left of it), I got my first glimpses of the peak.



I took the trail past Lake Arnold...


...to the lower, northern summit, from which there were views (despite the low clouds) of my approaching destination...


...and the surrounding High Peaks.


The views only got better from the top.




I decided to take a different route for my return trip.  Not the best idea I've ever had!  While the scenery was stunning (as you'll see), the trail also left me a bit stunned.  There was basically a rather steep, mile-long Slip'n Slide, as the trail is exposed rock face and was running with water from all the recent rain.  Needless to say, I picked up a few scrapes and bruises before arriving at Mount Colden's base, taking me around Lake Colden...


...and then around Avalanche Lake and through Avalanche Pass..



...and completing my nearly 14 mile loop.

I was a bit sore that night and the next day...but, yes, it was worth it!
  

No comments: