Saturday, October 24, 2015

Autumn Rewind

Due in part to some troubles with my computer, I've failed to share some shots from a few recent adventures, so I'll do a quick recap now...

A month ago today, on September 24, I climbed St. Regis Mountain (near Paul Smiths).  I've looked up toward the peak from below, but never hiked to the summit.  They were great views on a beautiful fall afternoon.  What was most unique was to get near the top and hear an unlikely wilderness sound: power tools.  A group of dedicated volunteers was working hard at rehabilitating the fire tower.



October 7-8, Fr. Scott and I went out for an overnight at the Biesemeyer lean-to on Lost Pond (where I'd previously camped back in April)--marking not only my 41st birthday, but also 22 months straight of wilderness camp-outs.  It was a nice, quiet (though slightly damp) night in the woods, followed by a quick hike up nearby Weston Mountain for some stellar views of the High Peaks coming up on their full autumnal splendor.






And then, on Columbus Day, I made a repeat visit to Catamount Mountain with KT and Lauren, two of our Frassati House Missionaries, taking in some colorful foliage that would be awfully hard to beat.





Most of the leaves are gone now, but the memories remain vividly colorful.
    

No comments: