Sunday, November 16, 2014

Rustic Retreat

I returned Friday evening from my annual retreat, having spent six days at Mount St. Francis Hermitage in Maine, NY.  As a guest of the the Franciscans of the Immaculate, I had my own cabin in the woods--one named for Padre Pio.  The place is, shall we say, "rustic": the cabins have electricity and a gas stove for preparing your own meals, but no running water and are only heated by a small wood stove.  I was about a half mile from the friary and the "retreat center," where I could get wood, water, and a warm shower.  To many folks, I'm sure this sounds less like a retreat center and more like hunting camp!  But it suited me just fine.  My quiet days were occupied with daily Mass (whether with the friars or privately in my cabin's small oratory) and quiet prayer, lots of reading, long afternoon walks, and the necessities of keeping myself warm and well fed.  It was a blessed week, and I'm so grateful for your prayers throughout it.










 

No comments: